ONE Direction star Liam Payne has apologised to his Australian fans, some of whom were left in tears, after he and his band mates secretly snuck out of Adelaide Airport.
Three-fifths of the boy band flew into Adelaide together on Sunday after catching a flight from Dubai on Saturday night, ahead of their highly anticipated Take Me Home tour.
Up to 200 eager girls had been waiting for hours to catch a glimpse of their idols, but excitement soon turned to disappointment when Payne, Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson bypassed their fans through a door at the back of the airport.
“Sorry we couldn’t stop in the airport they said it wasn’t safe ???? great to be in oz tho (sic),” Payne tweeted on Sunday.
Several girls were in tears after spending up to 13 hours waiting to see their idols, News Corp Australia reported.
Georgia, 17, told News Corp that she was angry that the stars didn’t greet their fans.
“I just feel really let down because we were so excited to see them and the least they could have done was poke their head out and wave before they left,” she said.
Harry Styles arrived solo, landing in Melbourne from Los Angeles Sunday morning before catching a connecting Qantas flight to Adelaide.
The 19-year-old heart-throb had to leap over seats to escape the throng of teenage girls who were waiting for him as he boarded the domestic flight.
The final band member, Niall Horan is expected to arrive in Australia on Monday.
“This is gona be soo fun ! I love it down under! Obsessed! Gona be a huge 5 weeks! Between aus and nz ! Uready for TMHT” Horan tweeted ahead of his arrival.
One Direction will play three sold-out concerts at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre from Monday night heading to Perth, Christchurch and Auckland before returning to Australia for shows in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.